We are on our latest adventure. Left home on June 24th with a friend from Oklahoma. Jane also has an rv and Jeep. Our plans were to see as much of Idaho as we can. We made our first stop in Declo, Idaho. Yes, I know not that far from home, but there was some sights that we wanted to see, like City of Rocks and Albion Normal School. The plan was to stay one night and see what we could that first day. After getting our rigs parked and set up, off we went. Our first stop was Albion Normal School. Here is some info about the school.
Albion State Normal School was an institution of higher learning located in Albion, Idaho . The school was established by the Idaho Legislature in 1893, as one of two Normal schools in the state. Citizens of Albion had actively lobbied for the school's establishment, and donated land and labor for the new campus.
The school remained a small institution throughout its history, focusing on the training of teachers and drawing its student body primarily from south-central Idaho. Albion Normal offered a two-year teacher training program until 1947, when it was renamed "Southern Idaho College of Education" (SICE) and authorized to confer baccalaureate degrees. The school remained troubled by low enrollment and a lack of funding, however, and was finally closed by the state in 1951. Its academic programs were transferred to Idaho State College (now Idaho State University) in Pocatello.
During its existence, Albion Normal awarded some 6,460 degrees. Perhaps the most notable alumnus of the college was Terrel Bell (1921-1996), who served as United States Secretary of Education from 1981 to 1984.
The college's athletic teams were known as the "Teachers" until 1935, when they became the "Panthers." School colors were Cardinal and Black, and the annual student yearbook was called The Sage.
After SICE closed in 1951, the campus remained vacant until 1957, when Magic Valley Christian College opened at the site. Magic Valley Christian, in turn, closed in 1969. The campus was deeded to the city of Albion the following year, which continued to maintain the grounds while alternative uses for the property were explored. Finally, the empty and deteriorating property was sold at public auction on June 2, 2007; a group of Idaho investors were successful with a bid of $810,000. The new owners have begun rehabilitating a portion of the campus to serve as a conference and retreat center, called "Campus Grove at Albion."